Add a contact to your iPhone running iOS 7.1.2 but find that it doesn’t show up in your Contacts ? Or it isn’t syncing to your other idevices via iCloud like it’s supposed to. I recently had a friend experience this issue and a few days later I did too. As it turns out, the problem isn’t actually iCloud at all. Luckily, the fix is super simple!
Below are two easy methods: One showing how to change the default back to iCloud and the other one is to get the disappearing contacts.
Those who are facing the same, may try the following trick to get the disappearing contact again.
How to default back to saving new contacts to iCloud?
For most users experiencing this problem, the issue is that their iPhone or iPad somehow defaults to the On my iPhone contacts group after upgrading to iOS 7.1.2. The problem actually isn’t iCloud sync at all. This explains why they aren’t showing up across devices as well. All you’ve got to do to fix the issue is change the default in Settings back to iCloud.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on Mail, Contacts, Calendars — you’ll need to scroll down a ways.
- Under Contacts, tap on Default Account.
- Make sure iCloud is selected and NOT On my iPhone.
Unfortunately, there’s no way to toggle where contacts are saved to after adding them so to get the missing contacts into iCloud, you’ll need to copy the numbers and create new entries after you’ve defaulted back to iCloud syncing. Here’s how to find the missing contacts so you know which ones you need to re-add:
How to find out disappearing contacts ?
- Launch the Phone app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on Groups at the top left.
- Uncheck All iCloud and check All on My iPhone.
- Tap Done at the top.
- You should now see a list of all the contacts that aren’t syncing or are missing from other devices.
For most folks, the problem group will be All on My iPhone. Once you have a list of who you need to re-add, just be sure you have iCloud selected under groups before re-adding. The easiest way to make sure is to hide the On My iPhone group again.
If you’ve had strange issues with contact syncing under iOS 7.1.2, give the above steps a try and see if you can not only find your missing contacts, but fix the issue permanently
- iPhone not showing contact name in calls or message? How to fix?
- How to troubleshoot and fix problems with iMessage
- iPhone 5 with iOS 7 randomly shuts off , here’s how to fix it!
- How to Fix Wi-Fi Greyed Out or dim on iPhone
- How to remove the forgotten passcode on your iPhone