Apple is really moving on iOS 12. It has introduced new pre-release versions for both developers and the general public just a few days after the last ones. Apple normally only comes out with new beta versions once a week, but the last round of releases was only on Monday. This could be a sign that the full version of iOS 12 is nearly ready for the general public. Apple is expected to introduce it just a few weeks, along with the 2018 iPhone models.
Get the latest iOS 12 beta versions now
iOS 12 beta 10 is only available to those who have enrolled in the Apple Developer Program, which requires paying a $99 annual fee. Non-developers can join the Apple Beta Software Program and try out beta 9. Just keep in mind that this is potentially buggy software that’s not recommended for devices.
Updated features in iOS 12
- A highlight is an increase in speed. Aside from the flawed seventh beta, tests show that the pre-release versions are already faster than iOS 11.
- With Siri Shortcuts, an iPhone or iPad can perform complex actions with simple voice commands. iOS 12 also includes Memoji, personalized and animated versions of emoji.
- Notification Center in iOS 12: Rather than infinite lists of texts, Facebook notifications and offers, iOS 12 stacks them together to make Notification Center and the lock screen a much simpler place.
- Apps could take longer than expected to launch.
- Home app removes existing wallpapers, now includes three color options.
- Podcasts app now shows Now Playing indicator on currently playing chapters.
- New splash screen for updated Voice Memos app.
- New splash screen for Screen Time in Settings, includes Down Time walkthrough for parents.
- New arrow launcher for Shortcuts in Spotlight.
- CarPlay appears to be fixed when using side and backup cameras.
- Watch app now shows third party apps that work with Siri watch face.
- 11 Activity app stickers that animate and do not require Special Challenge to unlock.
The update weighs in at only 68.7 megabytes on the iPhone X, so there are likely no large changes or features in the update. Any changes in this update will be posted below per usual.