My messages are being deleted from my iPhone 4S by themselves. Specifically, I sent messages with my girl friend everyday, this month have sent over 300 messages. However, today, I found most of the old messages from my girl friend were missing. I haven’t deleted any of the older ones. These sweet messages are our wonderful memories. I must find them back, is there a way to recover these lost older messages on my iPhone 4S?
The messages were removed may be because of the iPhone SMS storage has a certain limit, the old SMS message will be deleted when you reach the limit. if you don’t want lost your messages, please backup you messages frequently(Three methods to backup iPhone messages)
But when you encounter the messages lost problem, what should you do? Is it possible to get the lost/deleted SMS messages back on iPhone? actually, there are several ways to retrieve lost SMS messages on iPhone5S/5C/5/4S/4
Retrieve deleted SMS messages on iPhone: phone provider
The first port of call is your phone provider. Some – although not all – will keep a record of your text messages, and you are entitled to access them. It may be as easy as logging in to your account online. For some it requires you to contact customer services. The answer may be no, but it costs nothing to ask, right?
Retrieve deleted SMS messages on iPhone: from iTunes backup
This works only if you have backup text messages before they lost.
1. Connect your iPhone to the PC with which you sync it. iTunes should open (if not, open it manually).
2. You should see your iPhone in a box, top righthand corner. Select it.
3. Now choose ‘Restore backup’.
4. All the data you previously backed up will now replace the data on your phone. It will take a few minutes. As long as you haven’t backed up subsequent to deleting those text messages, they should now appear on your phone handset. (See also: Access iTunes backup to extract SMS messages for iPhone ?)
- How to find and view iTunes backup files
- How to Save multiple iTunes backup for iPhone
- How to Recover Deleted Contacts Number back to iPhone
Retrieve deleted SMS on iPhone: from iCloud backup
Unfortunately, iCloud doesn’t back up SMS in all territories, and for all phone operators. My UK O2-operated iPhone 5 falls into this category. So the following may not work. You’ll need only to go to step 2 to find out if it will work or not.
1. Login to iCloud with your Apple ID and password
2. Click on Text Messages (if it isn’t there your messages haven’t been backed up).
3. If it is there searched the messages to find the ones you need.
4. Now go to your iPhone and choose Settings, iCloud on your iPhone.
5. Turn off Text Messages (or ensure it is turned off). I know this sounds counter intuitive but stay with it.
6. You’ll see a pop-up. Select: ‘Keep on My iPhone’.
7. Now turn back on text messages.
8. Tap ‘Merge’, and wait. After a few minutes the deleted text messages should appear back on your iPhone. (See also: Backups: iCloud vs iTunes)
- How to Sync Apple iPhone, iPod or iPad with iCloud
- How to set up a new iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad with iCloud
- How to free up iCloud storage space by deleting unused Documents
Retrieve deleted SMS messages on iPhone: use a third-party tool
If neither of the options above has worked, it is time to use a third-party tool, there are a couple of iPhone data recovery in the market and have a good online reputation: iFonebox Because even after you have ‘deleted’ messages they remain on your iPhone until overwritten, you should be able to recover deleted messages using these utilities.( See: How to recover deleted messages with iFonebox )