If your screen is black or frozen
If your screen is black or frozen, you might need to force restart your device. A force restart won’t erase the content on your device. You can force restart your device even if the screen is black or the buttons aren’t responding. Follow these steps: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
If your device still won’t turn on or start up
Plug in your device and let it charge for up to one hour, after a few minutes, you should see the charging screen.
Note: If you don’t see the charging screen within an hour, check the jack, USB cable, and power adapter. Make sure that everything is plugged in firmly, free of debris, and not damaged. You might want to try a different USB cable or power adapter.
If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up
If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:
- Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don’t have a computer, try to borrow one, or go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
- While your device is connected, force it to restart. On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
- Don’t release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.
- When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
- iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you’ll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
If you need more help
- Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of these issues:
- You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, or following the steps in this article.
- You see a black screen, but you can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
- The screen remains black, but the device chirps when you unmute it and connect it to power.
- Your screen is on, but it doesn’t respond when you tap, slide, or try other gestures.
- You can’t force your device to restart because a button is broken or stuck.
- Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn’t recognized in iTunes.