I was currently sold an iPhone X with iOS 12 and I can’t activate it because I need the previous owner’s apple id. But I don’t know the previous owner. I don’t have a way to contact them. What’s the deal? Please help!
How to remove your iPhone XS from a previous owner’s account?
What if you purchase an iPhone X that is still linked to the previous owner’s account? To tell the truth, only the prior owner can release the activation lock. Try to get in touch with that person so they can reset all content and settings and hand phone back over to you ready to use.
Ask the previous owner for help
- If the device is linked to a previous owner’s account and they’re close by, ask them to enter their Apple ID and password on the Activation Lock screen and remove the device from their account.
- If you see the passcode screen and the device isn’t erased, ask the previous owner to unlock the device and go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. They’ll need to enter their Apple ID and password.
If the previous owner isn’t with you
You should contact them and ask them to follow these steps:
- Sign in to iCloud.com with their Apple ID.
- Go to Find My iPhone.
- Click All Devices at the top of the screen.
- Select the device that you want to remove from iCloud.
- If necessary, click Erase device.
- Click Remove from Account.
- After the previous owner removes the device from their account, turn off the device and then turn it back on to begin the setup process.
What should I do before I sell/give away my equipment?
Make sure that you turn off Find My iPhone on your device before you give it away or send it in for repair. Otherwise, your device is locked and anyone that you give the device to can’t use it normally and Apple technicians can’t perform service repairs. Just sign out of iCloud and then erase all content and settings. This completely erases your device, removes it from your Apple ID, and turns off Find My iPhone.
Note: Keep in mind to back up your important data before you erase your device.